Sunday, July 10, 2016

Powerful pen

The Giants took it to the Dbacks with a 4-2 win today as the bullpen got the last 14 outs of the game after Jake Peavy got the first 13.

That included Sergio Romo's second day of closing out the 8th. Here's what mlb.com said --

 

SAN FRANCISCO -- Though the Giants took divergent paths to success in their pair of victories during this series against Arizona, there was one constant stepping-stone: Sergio Romo's eighth-inning dominance.
Activated from the 60-day disabled list Monday after overcoming an elbow injury, Romo pitched a scoreless eighth inning for the second straight game Saturday, helping San Francisco seal a 4-2 triumph over the D-backs.
Grant Green provided San Francisco's biggest hit by bashing a two-run homer in the fourth inning to erase a 2-1 deficit. Arizona starter Robbie Ray (4-8) absorbed the decision by allowing three runs, including Green's go-ahead drive, in five innings.


"I thought my stuff was good," Ray said. "My curveball was really good today. I was putting guys away with my curveball and slider and elevating my fastball when I needed to. I felt good."
But San Francisco's bullpen ultimately made the difference as the Giants improved to a season-high 23 games over .500 (56-33) with their 39th win in 54 games. After starter Jake Peavy lasted 4 1/3 innings, Romo and five other relievers combined to yield one hit in 4 2/3 innings.
Romo, a ninth-year veteran, performed his familiar role by providing the bridge in the Giants' pitching sequence toward closer Santiago Casilla, who recorded his 21st save.
"I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow," Romo said. "I'm not worried at all how I'm going to feel. Especially with the All-Star break coming, I'm going to be itching to get an inning tomorrow, too."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home