Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Susac's future

Chris Haft of mlb.com says Andrew Susac is heading for the reserve role on the 25-man roster. 


SAN FRANCISCO -- On paper, a scramble for the Giants' backup catcher's job appears imminent. In reality, Andrew Susac should reclaim the role with minimal fuss.
Settling on a stand-in for Buster Posey, San Francisco's three-time All-Star, shouldn't be a consuming issue after pitchers and catchers report to Major League camp on Feb. 17 in Scottsdale, Ariz. General manager Bobby Evans reported that Susac, last year's reserve until arthroscopic right wrist surgery ended his season in early September, seems healed.
"Everything sounds good," Evans said on Wednesday. "I don't think there are any concerns going in [to Spring Training]. ... I think if Susac is healthy and performs well, he's the most likely choice to be our backup."
Common sense requires the Giants to stockpile alternatives to Susac, who hit .218 with three home runs and 14 RBIs in 52 games last year:
Trevor Brown, who looked polished during a late-season, 13-game stint with the Giants and will participate in his first Major League camp.
• Miguel Olivo, a 13-year big league veteran who agreed to a Minor League deal with San Francisco earlier this week. Evans said that Olivo was not invited to big league camp and will likely open the season with Double-A Richmond.
Consider the lesson derived from this event: As the Mets made ex-Giant Hobie Landrith their first selection in the expansion draft before their inaugural 1962 season, manager Casey Stengel explained the wisdom of the move.
"If you don't have a catcher, you're likely to have a lot of passed balls," the "Ol' Perfessor" observed.


Susac was pretty decent in 2014 with a 1.0 WAR. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home