Sunday, October 05, 2014

"That's the kind of stuff I thought about"

That's Brandon Belt reflecting on what he did to stay positive while he was rehabbing from his injuries this season -- like homering in the 18th inning tonight.

Here is the end of Henry Schulman's game story for the SF Chron --

Panik, the rookie second baseman, said, “After a while, every inning just ran into the next one. I’m not going to lie. Every pitch was so big, so key. You really felt it as the game wore on.”
But starting with Sergio Romo in the ninth, Giants pitchers held firm and did not make a mistake that would have tied the series. Jeremy Affeldt had the the 10th, Santiago Casilla the 11th and Petit the next six.
Then, Belt stepepd to the plate against Tanner Roark, the ninth Washington pitcher, hitless in six at-bats.
“Surprisingly, I really don’t remember getting tired,” Belt said. “Before that last at-bat I had a sugar-free Red Bull, so I was good to go. In this type of atmosphere in this kind of game, it was easy to stay focused.”
He built the count to 3-2, got a fastball in and crushed it over the Nats bullpen into the second deck to break the deadlock and send the Giants home a winner.
“Those days this year when I wasn’t playing so much, that’s the kind of stuff I thoguht about just to keep my head in there and stay positive,” Belt said. “You kind of dream about that your whole life as a kid. It’s just an awesome feeling.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home