Sunday, June 29, 2014

The gas can bullpen

7 runs in 3 innings tonight

Good Lord.

I was going to apologize for paying attention; I had ignored the game tonight, saw that they were behind 2-1 in the 9th after Romo blew a save, saw them tie in the 9th thanks to Buster, saw Machi give up a 2-run single in the 11th and stopped watching in time to miss the Reds score 3 more

Hoo boy. MC O'Cooner was Raising (Matt) Cain puts it aptly -- 

So we know the Giants will live and die, like most teams, on the strength of their starting pitching. Unfortunately when a team is in a losing spiral like the one they are in now it hardly matters. The Giants got a strong start from Ryan Vogelsong on Thursday but poor work from the bullpen and an anemic effort by the lineup doomed them to defeat. Tonight Matt Cain gave the team seven shutout innings, but the same formula--feeble offense and wretched relief--kept the losing streak going. I thought I might talk about Sergio Romo, but so much is wrong with the club right now it's not worth singling anyone out.

The Giants scored 111 runs in April and 123 in May. They've only managed 92 so far in June. The swoon isn't just the offense--the team allowed 94 runs in April and 90 in May and they've allowed 112 in June. It's a team-wide mess. They are 10-15 for the month after a 6-1 start--that's four wins in their last 18 games. We knew they would not sustain the smoking hot start to the season. We knew they'd cool off and hit some rough patches. But this is really, really ugly and not at all what I expected. They aren't doing anything right. Perhaps we can feel good about a solid start from Cain as they certainly can't expect to stay in contention without the rotation performing the way they ought to.
 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldnt agree more. Somehow I felt before the start of the season that Romo was not going to maintain his consistancy as there closer. He needs to be yanked now!!. The starters are a mess. One good game from Cain snd a no no by the freak means squat.
No one team can compete with the Dodgers pitching this year. I hate to sound like Debbie downer,but I dont see my Giants righting the ship.
How can you start off so well and then suck so much. I suppose it was a fluke to begin with.
The Giants pitching needs to be overhauled in a bad way. Vogelsong needs to go and I think we are stuck with Cains poor pitching. I do believe he has lost his touch sadly.

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home