Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas to all

We at Giants Win hope all of you are having a wonderful Christmas!

There's an especially warm wish to Rick Gosselin who has written a non-hysterical column for the Dallas Morning News explaining why he's voted for Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens this year after spurning them last year. One of the most interesting part is that the comments on Baseball think Factory are mostly about Goseelin's inclusion of Jack Morris on on his ballot. Here's how he ends --

If baseball won’t police itself, don’t ask the writers who vote on the Hall of Fame to do it for you. When I look at the 73 home runs Bonds hit in 2001 (and now listed at 6-2, 240), I do not see an asterisk. I don’t see any sign that baseball is protesting or contesting this accomplishment. So why should I?
The same with Clemens. When I look at his 18-4 record, 2.98 earned run average and 218 strikeouts as a 40-year-old in 2004 (and now listed at 6-4, 235), I don’t see any sign that baseball is challenging the legitimacy of his achievement. So why should I?
If baseball wants to remove Bonds and Clemens from the ballot, as Cooperstown has done with Pete Rose, I would not be able to vote for them. But if baseball keeps them on the ballot, they are worthy Hall of Fame candidates.
And I will vote for them.
Just not on the first ballot.

Here's a link to the BBTF comments. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home