Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"They all knew I was going to get it done"

Jeez, I know it's just spring training, where everyone is everyone's best buddy. But here's a story by Henry Schulman of the SF Chron that took me back 4 months. I still get a bit choked up thinking about the 9th inning of Game 5 of the NLDS -- particularly Sergio Romo's 12-pitch at bat to Jay Bruce. We kept waiting for the roof to cave in. Instead, Romo closed the Reds out. Here's the end of it --

  "I used to pitch with some attitude written on my forehead," he said. "I feel I became that much of a better pitcher not having that out there. My teammates made me feel I didn't need that to be good, to get the job done. In all reality, I feel it made me a better pitcher. I grew a little bit."
Romo cited a specific moment: his victorious, 12-pitch encounter with Reds right fielder Jay Bruce in the ninth inning of the decisive fifth game of the Division Series, which Cincinnati would have won had Bruce hit one out.
"There were little comments thrown at me by the infielders, and just watching the faces from the dugout," he said. "They all had my back. They all knew I was going to get it done. I was not going to let them down. I couldn't let them down. It's one of those things I'll never forget."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home