Tuesday, November 27, 2012

John D'Acquisto's farewell to Marvin Miller

The former Giants rookie of the year has written a fond farewell to Marvin Miller, who passed away today.Here's a memory from the 1972 spring training -- 

I walked across the diamond and this older gentleman in rolled-up shirt sleeves and loosened tie lectured my teammates right on the edge of the infield behind second base. Mays, Marichal, McCovey, they were all there. Some guys were standing, other sat on the grass, arms over knees like high school freshmen at basketball practice. First time I had ever seen my idols, my heroes looking up at another man, listening obediently. Marvin Miller gave the speech. Right beside him was his assistant, Bob Moss – they were the Players Union’s version of the M&M boys. Marvin spoke about why the work stoppage was necessary, why we needed to be concerned about our future and the future for the players that come after us. If not, then why even have a union, Marvin reasoned. He asked for questions. I raised my hand.

“How is this going to affect our families and insurance later on,” I asked.
“How old are you, John,” were the first words Marvin Miller ever said to me. I was in shock.
“20,” I chuckled nervously. Still stunned. “You know my name?” Remember, this was also before last names on the backs of uniforms were an accepted practice.
“I know everyone’s name,” he smiled, a smile you needed to take seriously as his eyes met every player one by one. “You’re all important to me.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool post. Thank you.

3:49 AM  
Blogger nnaemeka chukwuebuka said...

this a nice post. thanks for sharing the stuff. http//www.unn.edu.ng

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home