Wednesday, October 17, 2012

23 years ago today

I was at the Stick on a ramp up to the second deck for Game 3 when the Loma Prieta earthquake hit at 5:04 pm. On this day, my best wishes go out to everyone.

Adding this following a long, disappointing loss in St. Louis --

 Here's what I remember about Oct. 17, 1989:

-- I was so tired that I didn't realize it was a quake. I was on a ramp to the upper deck and thought some pilots had done a flyover. I fell down and said "Was that the Blue Angels?" My sister said, "That was an eaerthquake."

 
-- it was a warm day, so that when the quake hit. Most people weren't in the usual bundled up mode for the Stick.

-- there weren't any cell phones

-- there was a massive cheer that went up after the shaking stopped. That was the damndest thing. I guess that people felt like, "Wow, that was some serious earthquake. And the Stick is still standing!"

-- I kept faintly (and foolishly) hoping that somehow the game would get played. But then the TV sets in the press section came back on near where I was seated with my sister in the upper deck and we could see the part of the Bay Bridge that had collapsed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous ian said...

wow, more details! what happened next? where did you go? anything notable memories in the 30-90 minutes that followed the shaking? at what point did you start to consider how this would affect the teams' rotations??

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home