Monday, May 10, 2010

Sabean proves he's a dingbat

As the dozens of readers of this blog know, the Giants have Buster Posey -- one of the best offensive prospects in MLB -- stashed at Fresno despite having one of the worst offenses in the MLB. According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury-New, GM Brian "Brain" Sabean insists that Posey's not ready and cites as a reason that Triple A baseball "isn't very good" -- a sure-fire confidence builder for all the guys on the Fresno roster.

WHAT. A. DINGBAT.

UPDATE -- A reader David was nice enough to write a thoughtful comment about how he's grown a bit weary of all the Sabean-bashing. Look, I don't think Sabean is evil but I do think he's incompetent. The situation makes me think of how Groucho Marx put it in "Duck Soup:"

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: he really is an idiot."

2 Comments:

Anonymous David said...

I've said it before: I'm a huge fan of this blog.

That said, imagine the situation for your readers. Here's how I see my choices:

1) I could agree that Brian Sabean is indescribably stupid, ill-suited to his job, and good for nothing save picking up a few good arms in recent drafts and through free agency. As such, I could choose to join you in decrying his lack of intelligence as each successive sound byte belies his incompetence.

2) I could contend that it's not fair to blame the GM for the failings of the team--especially given a winning record and a good helping of promise on the horizon.

The problem with each of these scenarios is that the first is too easy, the second too exhausting, and I'm starting not to care either way. I don't know what to do against such a stacked deck (I could selectively ignore some posts but that would defeat my point), when my only aim is to read some interesting takes on the Giants' performance, hear some interesting stories, and follow some links to well-written Giants banter.

So I'm suggesting that for this Giants fan, reading these anti-GM, anti-Bochy, anti-Bowtie exclamations only serves to frustrate me further.

I'm worried that I've stopped caring how obtuse the men in charge are--that I've chalked up Giants-blog-protestations to derailing a passenger train with a butter knife.

We're all on-board for better or for worse--I'm thinking it may be high time to lay off the conductor and take a peek out the window.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Big D said...

Thanks for your thoughtful response, David, but I remain convinced that this guy is the wrong guy for the job. Since he has more influence than anyone else on the team's fortunes, I don't think I'm out of line to point out when he falls short.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home