Friday, December 04, 2009

Zito -- only the sixth worst contract of the decade

Jeff Passan at Yahoo Sports says the Giants' deal for Zito isn't as bad as these five:
1. Darren Dreifort with the Dodgers
2. Mike Hampton with the Rox
3. Jason Schmidt with the Dodgers
4. Chan Ho Park with the Rangers
5. Andruw Jones with the Dodgers

Here's what he says -- Not sure what to say, other than the Giants gave a No. 4- or 5-quality starter $18 million a year and will continue paying him beaucoup bucks through 2013. It was stupid then. It's really stupid now. And that is that.

Why am I bringing this up now? Because it seems an appropriate time to mention that the brainiacs in the Giants front office have already declared that Buster Posey isn't ready for the MLB, according to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle. My first reaction is that this is a franchise that over-values veterans -- to the detriment of young players.

Here's a guy who KILLED minor league pitching last year (including at the AAA level) and a team that NEEDS offense. What's so hard to understand? Yet another reason to fire Brian Sabean.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dan said...

But don't you like the way the Blew Crue have wasted upwards of $100 million on the three busts listed in the post?

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home