Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The reality of Brian Sabean

Armando Blownitez. Edgardo Alfonzo. Barry Zito. Joe Nathan. Dave Roberts. Jeffrey Hammonds. Shae Hillenbrand. Steve Finley. Four straight losing seasons despite having one of the top 10 payrolls in the MLB.

These are all good reasons why Brian Sabean should have been fired long ago. I'm going to respectfully disagree with those who contend that Sabean was hamstrung by Peter Magowan. I was inspired to write this upon reading Lefty Malo's "maybe the recession will save his job" post. Here's the bottom line -- the Giants are stuck with a guy who CANNOT evaluate talent, who overpays for experience. The sooner he's gone, the sooner the Giants can go back to contending.

3 Comments:

Blogger Monty said...

Amen!

6:10 AM  
Blogger allfrank said...

You skip the fact that he has put together one of the best minor league systemes and has assembled maybe the #1 starting rotation in the big leagues. What, "the guy who cannot evaluate talent" just got lucky in the draft and in assembling his pitching staff?

1:12 PM  
Blogger Big D said...

2008 -- 72-90
2007 -- 71-91
2006 -- 76-86
2005 -- 75-87

Allfrank, if I did my job this poorly, I would have been fired long ago -- and justifiably, too. I stand by what I posted.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home