Monday, December 08, 2008

The HOF veterans committee gets it right

Fortunately, Maury Wills was not elected today; Joe Gordon was. The fact that Wills -- one of the most over-rated players ever -- was even under consideration is something of an embarrassment and something of a triumph of hype over substance. Wills had the good fortune to win one of the worst MVP elections in 1962 when Mays, Aaron and FRobby were clearly the better players; he also lucked out by playing on teams that won World Series in 1959, 1963 and 1965 in which he wasn't anywhere close to being the best player. One could make a case that those teams won despite Wills running them out of rallies as he compiled the fourth highest caught stealing total in MLB history while his total SBs is only 19th. When Dodger fans insist that Wills should be in the Hall of Fame, they only deepen their reputations as beachball-obsessed dingbats.

None of the post-1943 candidates were elected though Ron Santo came the closest.

1 Comments:

Blogger Caincecum said...

hey you don't know me but I'm "Henry" the author of Brian Sabean's Successpr I really appreciate tha blurb abut me that I saw on your blog I wanted to let you know and was wondering if I featured some of your content under your blogs name on my site if you would be interested in doing the same? thanks again

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home