The same nightmare for Giants fans
1. It's 2 a.m. and
2. I signed up for a class at the start of the quarter, then forget about it but now I realize that
3. the final is at 8 a.m. so
4. I need to start studying now but I don't have the books so
5. I have to break into the bookstore
6. At this point, I wake up with a mild sense of relief that I'm no longer in college
Well, it seems to me that something vaguely similar happens a LOT with the Giants: a very ordinary pitcher (Zach Duke, 5-13) completely stifles them. I guess it should not be a surprise, since he also beat them easily for his first vic of the year 4 months ago. The immortal Phil Dumatrait got a win two days later by pitching a shutout into the sixth against the Orange and Black to help the Pirates complete a disgusting 3-game sweep.
Depressingly, there's more -- how about this May 31 complete game 5-1 victory by the Padres' immortal Josh Banks?
Or how about getting Mike Hampton his first MLB vic in three years on Aug. 5? Then Hampton got his only other vic of the year 11 days later against the Orange and Black.
For having assembled this 60-79 squad -- which could have contended in this division were the front office not so massively incompetent -- Brian Sabean should resign now.