Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The return of Johnnie LeMaster

A somewhat amazing story in the SF Bay Guardian about the guy who played 11 seasons for the Orange and Black and is probably best remembered for wearing "BOO" on his jersey once in 1979. --

"That stunt cost me a $500 fine, but it was worth every penny. It won over some of the media and the fans really got a kick out of it," said LeMaster who was honored by the Giants last weekend as part of the club's season long 50th San Francisco Anniversary celebration.
It was the Paintsville, Kentucky resident's first visit to San Francisco's downtown ballpark.
"I'm jealous of the new players. Everything is so plush and inviting, I'd love to take some ground balls or step up to the plate here," said LeMaster, 53, and a grandfather of six. "I'm glad for the players that they have something like this to come to and I'm really happy for the fans."


He was a decent fielder but couldn't hit worth a damn -- .222/.277/.289 for his career. And I think that Giants fans booed him a lot because they couldn't express their disgust in any other way that -- year after year after year after year -- LeMaster was the best that the team could find. I don't recall his successor Jose Uribe ever getting booed at the Stick.

For the sake of discussion, let's say that the Giants decided to play Brian Bocock at short for the next eight years. I'd bet that by 2014 or so, the booing would be pretty intense.

1 Comments:

Blogger M.C. O'Connor said...

Great story. I feel bad for all the abuse I gave Johnnie Lee over the years. He seems like a stand-up guy.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home