Sunday, December 16, 2007

This is what happens when you suck year after year

Q. What team had the exact same 2007 record as the San Francisco Giants at 71-91?

A. The Florida Marlins.

I thought of this as I read this punchy little piece from the Palm Beach daily as less than 50 people showed up yesterday at the Marlins ballpark to meet the manager and check out the seating (Notice how I am using the stupid Marlin teal color, too?). This is what happens when you're lousy year after year. Get ready for the same thing to start happening at Third and King.

Oh, and by the way -- thanks, Bud Selig, for being stupid enough to put a team in a place where nobody cares.

4 Comments:

Blogger allfrank said...

I think you are wrong to write of the Giants. I'm not predicting 90+ wins, but I think 82-88 is both realistic and likely - that is, if you carefully look at the numbers and skip the defeatism.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Big D said...

I hope you are right but the recent developments -- saying Benjie is a cleanup hitter and that Dave Roberts will bat leadoff -- fill me with pessimism. Offensively, the team's no better than last year because it's essentially swapped Bonds for Rowand.

1:22 PM  
Blogger allfrank said...

It is a tiny bit better offensively (a full year of Rowand + a full year of a healthy Roberts + Ort (even if he hits 25 points lower than last year it is superior to Klesko/Sweeney/Aurilia)+ moderate improvement from Omar + improvement from 2b, whether Durham or Frandsen). We are much better at SP, and I think we will be better in the pen. We should have won 77 games last year (based on runs scored/runs given up). So, I (conveniantly) start w/ the 77 wins and think there is a very good shot at 5-10 more wins.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Big D said...

Again, I hope you're right but I'm skeptical that Omar and Roberts will improve.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home