Wednesday, November 07, 2007

This old team

Photo by Ben Lei taken at Petco Park


Even without Bonds, the Giants continue to show the love to old players. They just signed Omar Vizquel, 40, to a one-year deal.

Michael New Jr., who runs the San Francisco Giants Blog, thinks this is pretty good news -- Let it be known that I am a HUGE Vizquel fan. So, needless to say, I am very excited to have him back. I’m also glad that they are only signing him to a one year deal. This gives us the opportunity to look for a new quality shortstop in free agency after next season, and continue to groom our minor league sensations. I think it was the appropriate move for the Giants given our options.

I do love Omar's glove, too, and it probably will help the Giants take advantage of just how good Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum are. But I'm a bit mixed as to how good an idea it really is, given the absence of Bonds, Omar's subpar 2007 season and the general offensive lousiness of the remaining players. When Randy Winn is your best offensive player, you've got some real problems.

I just discovered Michael's site, thanks to him posting a positive comment about Carney Lansford coming on board. He's posting from Provo, Utah and is obviously a huge Giants fan with some nice insights. And his site is one of the very best-looking Giants blogs.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Big D, thanks for the very nice comments regarding my blog. I truly appreciate it coming from someone who's stories I read every day. I believe that Vizquel will provide a solid defense behind our strong starting pitching. We desperately need to upgrade our corner infield spots with some serious power. With that, we have a shot to be contenders next year, without it, we have another sub par team...agreed!

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home