Tuesday, March 13, 2007

RIP Charles Einstein

The Newark Star-Ledger has a nice obit on Charles Einstein, who authored several books about Mays including the excellent "Willie's Time" and "A Flag for San Francisco," a book about the 1961 team. Here's what Mays had to say --

Mr. Einstein, Mays and producer/director Lee Mendelson also collaborated on "Born to Play Ball," a documentary that followed Mays from his Alabama childhood to 2000.
"Charlie and I spent a lot of time on that book," Mays recalled. "He was a professional, I was an amateur. I knew what I wanted to say, he put it into words. When I saw the title (of the documentary), I knew that was the perfect name for it. All I ever wanted to do was to play ball. I knew Charlie for a long time -- 40, 50 years. He was a nice man."

2 Comments:

Blogger El Person said...

I think it was the '62 team, not '61.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Big D said...

I know it sounds strange, since the 1961 team didn't win a pennant and the 1962 team did, but "A Flag for San Francisco" really is about the 1961 team. Einstein's notion was that 1961 was the year that the honeymoon between the SF fans and the club ended that year; much of the book's focus is on Alvin Dark's first year of managing.

Despite this somewhat false title, it's still an excellent book. I read it many times as an adolescent.

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home