Saturday, December 30, 2006

A fun Zito stat

This is from Daniel Brown's story for Inside the Bay Area on the Zito news conference --

In 108 career starts with at least four runs of support, Zito is 85-4.

That's a fairly strange stat that I've not seen before (perhaps Zito's agent came up with it?). I am guessing that it's meant to show he's a top-of-the-rotation guy, which is a role that Jason Schmidt wasn't completely filling in the last few years. As I've said previously, it became increasingly clear in 2005 and 2006 that Schmidt was sometimes having real problems in those rare games when the offense was actually productive. The most frustrating was on May 7, 2005 when he got given a 4-run lead in the 3rd (thanks to a Moises granny) and got bombed for 7 in the top of the 4th against the Nats. The Giants went on to score 8 runs and it still wasn't enough.

The story also noted his reaction to the intro at the news conference by Magowan: "It gave me chills," Zito said. "It's great to be mentioned in the same sentence as Barry Bonds. I just hope to help the club the way Barry has over all these years."

2 Comments:

Blogger allfrank said...

I am not quarelling, just trying to understand - and gain clarification. But the Bee Zee was 16-10 last year, 6-7 at home (meaning he was 10-3 on the road). So how does that 4 run stat work?

7:43 PM  
Blogger Big D said...

I was a bit baffled, too, so I added to my original post with a reference to that nightmare game in May 2005 as an illustration.

Upon a bit of reflection, it's probably some stat worked out by Zito's agent.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home