Saturday, September 30, 2006

More on Omar

photo by Helfon


This from the Chron --

Willie Mac award: Shortstop Omar Vizquel has won the coveted "Willie Mac" Award, after being voted by his teammates, coaches and training staff as the most inspirational player on the team.

Established in 1980, the award is named after Giants legend and Hall of Famer Willie McCovey, and engraved on the plaque are the words "Competitive Spirit, Ability and Leadership," characterizing McCovey's -- and the winner's -- qualities."

"It's awesome that my fellow teammates notice the hard work and dedication that some of the players have -- obviously there's a lot of them -- and I'm really flattered that I was picked," Vizquel said.

"I think my good habits that I've done all the years have been showing up, the way I play the game at this age, and by the way I get the respect from my teammates."

Vizquel, 39, leads all Major League shortstops with a .993 fielding percentage (four errors, 592 chances) and entered Friday night's game vs. Los Angeles at AT&T Park with a .297 average. The Venezuelan native has won 10 Gold Gloves, including one last season.

Catcher Mike Matheny was the Willie Mac winner in 2005.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin McGonagle said...

Say Hey Big D - I have stumbled on another Giant loving Angeleno. I was born in January of 1955 and the Giants last won in October of 1954. I hope to see a championship in my lifetime as well. I do believe that they have the rotation to make it happen.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home